I am an elementary school librarian in an urban setting in Massachusetts. Through the work of creating a more representative and inclusive library collection for my students, I learned a lot about the politics of the publishing industry, the accepted institutional racism and purposeful exclusion of communities in books and that we should be outraged at the continued disenfranchisement of our children.
Follow me on Twitter: @reflectlibrary

Friday, October 17, 2014

Digging In: My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood


"My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood" is written in verse, by Tameka Fryer Brown and illustrated by Shane Evans. I like to think the cold plums are a nod to the great William Carlos Williams.

Often with picture books, I tend to initially be attracted to the illustrations of books- and Shane Evans does not disappoint. Bright and saturated colors fill these pages, with simple yet expressive characters and their surroundings.

The book follows a boy, a middle child, through his day and activities and most importantly his MOODS. This little boy has feelings. His feelings have color. He is green and happy drawing with one of his sisters, he is gray and annoyed and brown and grounded. We end the story sharing a meal with his family- and we feel happy, full and yellow.

This book pairs well with Dr. Seuss's, "My Many Colored Days"- great for figurative and descriptive language lessons. 

Tameka Fryer Brown has some activities that go along with the book as well, visit her website:
Ms. Brown is also part of one of my most favorite literature projects, The Brown Bookshelf.
Do yourself a favor and take some time to go through this blog:


No comments:

Post a Comment