I am an elementary school librarian in an urban setting in Massachusetts. Through the work of creating a more representative and inclusive library collection for my students, I learned a lot about the politics of the publishing industry, the accepted institutional racism and purposeful exclusion of communities in books and that we should be outraged at the continued disenfranchisement of our children.
Follow me on Twitter: @reflectlibrary

Monday, August 11, 2014

We Need Diverse Books: Recommendations

What a summer! I have been so busy with another of my projects that I haven't had time to sit and write. I spent this summer riding the Book Bike- check us out here: www.cambridgebookbike.org
Now I'm back and excited to start thinking about another school year. This year I am turning my attention to not only have students recognize themselves in books, but being empowered members of their community. I am working on one project I am super excited about, I will share soon.

While I haven't been writing, I have been reading and ferreting away book resources, bibliographies and awesome new titles. One of my favorite things that came out this summer was "#We Need Diverse Books" new reading recommendation format, "If you liked_____, then read this next.":
I hope other teachers, librarians and parents will be utilizing these fantastic examples to get kids to broaden their reading experiences. I am envisioning a section in my library with many of these books displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment