I am an elementary school librarian in an urban setting in Massachusetts. Through the work of creating a more representative and inclusive library collection for my students, I learned a lot about the politics of the publishing industry, the accepted institutional racism and purposeful exclusion of communities in books and that we should be outraged at the continued disenfranchisement of our children.
Follow me on Twitter: @reflectlibrary

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Passive But Profound?

As many of you may know, books displayed with covers out will circulate far more than books with just their spine showing. I am careful about making sure the covers are showing diversity in gender, race, religion and topic. Certainly, it is not perfect everyday (especially after 5 classes in a row!), but the effort is made. This is an easy way to send a message of inclusiveness. Now, I am not sure if the kids in my library will notice this outright, but I can't help but think this is sending the message even in its seeming passivity.





No comments:

Post a Comment